Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Aftermath

This image is titled New Year Aftermath and although nothing conse- quential happened in 2013, aftermath is my theme for this year's listening.

Because all my listening was oddly colored by that really, really, really bad audiobook I listened to at the beginning of the year. It's like a traffic accident, I can't look away. (But I linked to it in the post for Heading Out to Wonderful and I'm not going to link to it again.)

Herewith the year's stats:

52 audiobooks.
561:31, for an average of 10:48 per book.
20 books for children or teens.
4 works of nonfiction.

Fewer books than 2012, where I read 59, but more hours: It somehow became important to me that I finish with more hours than 2012, so I powered through House of Stone to get there, by 3:40.

Two books read by their authors, both good (one surprisingly and one not): Flight Behavior and The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Only one author heard twice: Nancy Farmer's The House of the Scorpion and The Lord of Opium.

A bunch of narrators were heard twice:

Raúl Esparza: See Nancy Farmer above.
William Dufris: The Good Thief and (uncredited) The Monuments Men.
Robin Miles: The Freedom Maze and Cleopatra
Robin Sachs: The Last Werewolf and Master and God
Simon Vance: Stone's Fall and The Holy Thief

Katherine Kellgren was heard three times: Monstrous Beauty, The American Heiress and the latest (for me) Bloody Jack, The Mark of the Golden Dragon.

And so to the great:

The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp by Kathi Appelt
Astray by Emma Donoghue (her Room was a favorite last year) 
The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan
Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Touchstone by Laurie R. King
The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
The Broken Shore by Peter Temple
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

So, maybe the 550-hour mark (or so) is the normal (I have no idea what happened in that outlier year: 2011). It's always good to aim a little higher, so I'll work toward 600 hours, but settle for less, in 2014.

Happy New Year to you!

[The photograph above was taken in 2008 by Andrew Baron.]

[Bullets were attempted here to make it easier to read, but !@#$%^& Blogger doesn't like to space them properly if you add them after the fact.]

No comments: