Monday, December 31, 2012

It was a sort of good year

I am trying to figure out if the vast number of hours I devoted to listening in 2011 (731:54) was a fluke or not, because my 2012 total (557:51) just barely topped my hours for 2010 (543:02). I probably spent more time in a car in 2011 and I didn't take one of those long vacations where I don't get a lot of listening in either.  There was the four-month computer absence this year, and I was involved in a performance (fourth row from the left, third person in) that sucked up (in a good way) all my exercise time for two months. My total books read (including listening) was way down this year as well:  167 books this year, 256 in 2011 and 221 in 2010. I know I lost my reading mojo this year, but I didn't think it affected my listening as well.

So, 59 books listened to (down from 87), but the hours per book was up slightly -- just under 9.5 hours/title compared to 8.4 hours in 2011. Close to a third of these books were downloadables. I evened out my adult and child/teen listening as I had wanted to: 29 audiobooks were those published for children or teens. I listened to five works of nonfiction. Just three authors showed up more than once: Louisa May Alcott (two titles, in what is now considered one book) Holly Black (with two plus the short story collection she edited), and Rebecca Stead, also with two. I spread the wealth among lots of narrators. At three times each, Julia Whelan and Katherine Kellgren were the narrators I listed to the most.

I have no trouble coming up with five great adult titles (all by women):
Honorable mention goes to Connie Willis' Doomsday Book.

There weren't five standouts for me in the kids and teen books though, so here are three (all by men):
Honorable mention to The Wake of the Lorelei Lee by L.A. Meyer.  Kellgren and Bloody Jack up to their usual high standard.

And the one item really worth mentioning: I managed to put not one, but two pictures of my cats in the blog this year!

On to 2013!  (As I write this, I cannot locate my mp3 player, which is going to put a bit of a crimp in the next few days.)

[The ball that "dropped" in Times Square on New Year's Eve 2007, taken by Clare Cridland and retrieved from Wikimedia Commons.]

No comments: