Monday, June 25, 2012

Audiobook Week: My Audiobook Year

Are you new to audiobooks in the last year? Have you been listening to them forever but discovered something new this year? Favorite titles? New times/places to listen? This is your chance to introduce yourself and your general listening experience.

Nothing really new to report here.  I’ve been listening for more than a decade (and blogging audiobooks for five years), I like all kinds of books although I’m more partial to fiction, I’m a critical listener but I don’t really hate any narrator (there are just some I think more than twice about listening to).  Since leaving YALSA’s audiobook selection committees, I’ve had the opportunity to listen to as many adult books as kids and teen.  I track my reading by a calendar year and in 2011, about one-third of my listening was adult.  So far this year, it’s been about half and half.  I listened to almost 732 hours of books last year … to date in 2012, I’m up to 280 hours (yikes! I’m way behind).

I also got involved with Audiobook Jukebox's Solid Gold Reviewer program this year, which has generously provided me with copies of audiobooks that I might otherwise not be able to get my hands on (my library has chosen not to purchase them for one reason or another). This must be a colossal amount of work for the Audiobook DJ and Rockinbear, and I am grateful for their efforts!

For the first time this past year, I shared audiobooks with another listener during some road trips.  Those intensive, four- or five-hour stretches are really amazing, but I’ve got to learn how to pause the player in my friends’ Priuses!  Listening doesn’t keep you from wanting to talk, but the books always make for more interesting conversation.  I did glom onto a few new narrators that I’d like to hear more:  Jonathan Aris, Wendy Carter, Ralph Cosham, and Kristine Hvam; plus I enjoyed reunions with Steven Boyer, Alan Cumming, LukeDaniels and Jenny Sterlin.


I’m not sure I’d know what to do if I didn’t have an audiobook going.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I can't seem to get into my car unless I have an audio going and now that I figured out how to get audios onto my iPod, I can listen while walking either outside or on the treadmill at the gym.

I haven't listened to an audio with anyone yet, though.

Kristin @ Always With a Book

Jen (Devourer of Books) said...

Oh, I *adored* THE CITY AND THE CITY in audio!

Jen (Devourer of Books) said...

Oh, I adored THE CITY AND THE CITY in audio!

Tanya Patrice said...

Thanks for sharing your list of faves - I saw Why We Broke Up on audio at my library and was on the fence about whether I should try it or not - now I'm going to :-)