Monday, January 2, 2012

Looking back

It’s been a pretty good year for listening. Most hours ever (well, I’ve only been tracking this for four years) at 731:54! This is a vast improvement over last year’s 543 hours. I also listened to 22 more books than I did in 2010: 87. The average length of the books listened to was almost exactly the same (weird): 8.4 (2011) and 8.3 (2010) hours. (For anyone keeping an extremely close eye, I’ve got one more book to post about.)

Some other interesting data:
  • 24 of the books were downloads
  • 30 of them were written for adults
  • 8 were nonfiction
Five favorite audiobooks for kids and teens:
Honorable mention: Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

And five for adults:
Dion Graham was this year’s most-listened-to narrator, with five audiobooks (Black Jack, Black Water Rising, The Cut, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, and Here in Harlem). Bahni Turpin (Bird in a Box, The Other Half of My Heart and Smekday) and Simon Vance (The King’s Gambit, The Lodger Shakespeare, and The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher) were runners up with three each.

I’m surprised at the Dennis Lehane novels on my favorites list, but he also leads the pack of most frequent authors, with those two. The only other author I listened to more than once was Adam Rex (Fat Vampire and Smekday).

I think this might have been the year I listened to the most authors reading their own work: Libba Bray, Neil Gaiman, Jack Gantos, Wes Moore, Susan Orlean, Louis Sachar, and the memorably bad Amy Tan.

I could go on parsing my list to death, but I’d rather be listening! Happy New Year.

[“It is not uncommon, on an early morning walk around Bangor seafront, to find the discarded remnants of the previous night’s revelries. This empty champagne bottle, found at the Long Hole, was a little more upmarket than the usual discoveries.” Photograph and commentary from Ross on January 1, 2009, via the geograph.org.uk project; retrieved from Wikimedia Commons.]

No comments: