Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Audiobook Week: Midweek Meme

Continuing to celebrate Audiobook Week with Devourer of Books:

Current/most recent audiobook: I’m in the middle of Here in Harlem: Poems in Many Voices by Walter Dean Myers. It’s read by a full cast and recently was honored as the most “distinguished in audio production” at this year’s Audies. I’ll finish it and review it tomorrow.


Impressions: Excellent. I’m not a big fan of poetry, but the combination of many voices and sound effects (I take back everything I said yesterday!) makes the verse come vividly to life.


Current favorite audiobook: White Cat by Holly Black. I loved the long con that is this novel about “curse workers,” those whose touch can wreak havoc, and I was most pleasantly surprised at the narration by Jesse Eisenberg. It’s likely I’ll listen to the other novels that will make up this trilogy.


One narrator who always makes you choose audio over print: Like Jen, I’m not sure if anyone would ALWAYS make me choose audio over print, but I’m highly swayed if I see Katherine Kellgren, Simon Jones, Neil Gaiman, or Dion Graham.


Genre you most often choose to listen to: None … unless you count books for kids and teens. I listen to a lot of these.


If given the choice, you will always choose audio when: Ooh, can’t answer this one either. I think if I’m wrapped up in a series that I’ve already enjoyed in audio, I’m likely to stick with it in audio. The Last Apprentice, Bartimaeus, Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, Westerfeld’s Leviathan trilogy (I regretted eye-reading Behemoth), Harry Potter [duh!], Bloody Jack.


If given the choice, you will always choose print when: Hmmm … even though I’ll dig in and listen to a monster every now and then (monster = more than, say, 20 hours), I find I’m shying away from devoting that much time to ONE SINGLE BOOK!


What is a meme anyway?

1 comment:

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

I would have never pegged Jesse Eisenberg as a great narrator, but maybe I'll check out WHITE CAT!