Thursday, June 9, 2011

Audiobook Week: Audiobook Resources

And Audiobook Week comes to a close:

Where do you learn about great audiobook titles? Find reviews? Buy your audiobooks? Share your secrets with the rest of us!

I love the Audiobook Jukebox when I want to see what else a favorite narrator has recorded -- it's so great having all that information in one place. I also appreciate the ease with which I can find out what others thought of a book I've recently listened to.


When I'm looking for a new audiobook, I’m pretty much bowling alone with my library catalog and Oregon’s downloadable options. I’m simply not going to buy a book to listen to (since I don’t ever anticipate wanting to listen again). I think I consciously select audiobooks three ways:

  • I look at review journals to see if there’s something specifically audiobookish I should keep an eye out for, and those titles go on the ever-expanding TBLT list.
  • I’ve listened to a new-to-me narrator, liked him or her, and gone in search of more of their work.
  • There’s a series (usually) that’s so boffo in audio (Harry Potter, Bloody Jack), I’m going to stick with that medium for each book I pick up. For example, my library’s been a little poky in purchasing new audiobooks lately, and I felt I just could not wait to read Scott Westerfeld’s second installment in his steampunk World War I series, Behemoth. I really missed Alan Cumming (I kept hearing his voice), so I’m going to stick it out this fall until Goliath arrives on CD at my library (even though I’ve seen that ARCs were passed out at BEA).

Otherwise, my choices are more serendipitous (which is not how I am in print … I’m not a browser). If my bookgroup’s books are available in audio, I might listen. I’m a big mystery reader, so occasionally I’ll pick up the “next” book in audio instead of print. Sometimes I actually browse the library shelves and just randomly pick up a book. Amazing!


Thanks to Devourer of Books for hosting the audiobook love all week long … and for Jen's thoughtful comments on my blog (and I presume everyone else’s). Keep on listening … audiobooks aren't just for June!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

So far, I've only gotten my audios from the library and I only listen in the car, so the cd's are perfect for me.

My resources post can be found here.

Nise' said...

When browsing around I like it when publishers offer a snippet to listen to decide if the books is something I'd continue listening to.

Nise' said...

I am not so patiently waiting for my library to get My Bonny Light Horseman on audio! (Bloody Jack #6)

Jen (Devourer of Books) said...

I'm much more likely to just randomly browse the library shelves in audio than in print, too.