Monday, June 6, 2011

Audiobook Week: 2010-2011 Your Audiobook Year

Celebrating Audiobook Week with Devourer of Books:

Are you new to audiobooks in the last year? Have you been listening to them forever but discovered something new this year? Favorite titles? New times/places to listen? This is your chance to introduce yourself and your general listening experience.

I am a long-time listener to audiobooks (well, does 10 years count?). I started listening when I embarked upon my new career as a youth librarian and realized I was way behind in knowing the “classics” and other good books for kids. It seemed like a great way to multitask for those hours when I simply couldn’t be eye-reading. I got the bug, but then shifted into overdrive [tee hee!] when I joined a Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) committee first known as Selected Audiobooks and now called Amazing Audiobooks. Suddenly it was all (young adult) audiobooks all the time – they’re not just for walking, knitting, and driving … they’re for folding laundry, cooking, gardening (I’m using these last two terms loosely), changing the cat litter, and even showering. I started blogging my second year on the committee in order to keep track of what I was listening to. My ears got more sophisticated in my four years of committee listening as well (Year 4 I was on the Odyssey Award Committee, naming the best audiobook for children and teens in 2010 – Sing out Louise!).


Since leaving the Odyssey Committee in January 2010, I’ve been able to listen to whatever I want, so I’ve branched out to adult titles as well as those for kids and teens that might have passed me by. The TBLT list is way too long, but I still listen at a pretty constant pace (I’m up to 35 books and 273 hours so far this year … and yes, I keep track!). I don’t think I’ll run out in the near … or even far future. I admit I miss having the boxes of fresh audiobooks arriving steadily, but hey – a book like In the Company of the Courtesan or Framed is new to me! The rest of my favorites from 2010 are here.


As for favorites, I listen so constantly, it’s hard to pick one or two. So far this year I like One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, The Ring of Solomon, Shutter Island, The True Meaning Smekday, and White Cat.


Last but not least, this year I joined the Audiobook Knitters group on the knitting social network, Ravelry. Getting through the TBLT and knocking down the stash. Awesome!

2 comments:

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

I think you are one of our longest-term listeners!

Audiobokchick said...

I have been listening to audiobooks for about 10 years. I mostly listen in the car or while I am walking. I love thrillers or self help