Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Best of 2010

I started this blog in 2007 in order to keep track of the books I was listening to on behalf of the Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults and, later, the Odyssey Committees. All I listened to in those years were the current year's audiobooks and to produce a "top ten" list seemed inappropriate. So, to commemorate my first year of "free" listening, I bring you my favorites.

Audiobooks for children and teens:

Framed by Frank Cottrell Boyce, narrated by Jason Hughes.
Numbers by Rachel Ward, narrated by Sarah Coomes.
Outcast (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, Book 4) by Michele Paver, narrated by Ian McKellen.
Solace of the Road by Siobhan Dowd, narrated by Sile Bermingham.
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan, narrated by MacLeod Andrews and Nick Podehl.

Audiobooks for adults:

Chasing the Devil's Tail by David Fulmer, narrated by Dion Graham.
A Damsel in Distress by P.G. Wodehouse, narrated by Jonathan Cecil.
In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant, narrated by Stephen Hoye.
The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard, narrated by Charles Leggett.
Still Midnight by Denise Mina, narrated by Jane MacFarlane.

In the category of "so great they'll be on best-of lists forever:"

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, narrated by a full cast.
My Bonny Light Horseman by L.A. Meyer, narrated by Katherine Kellgren.

In other year-end news, I can only say that I've become a piker. Listening hours are way, way down! Numbers of interest only to me:

2008: 96 audiobooks, 726:25
2009: 125 audiobooks, 694:32.
2010: 65 audiobooks, 543:02

[Picture credit: Yuval Y (from Wikimedia Commons)]

Here's to another year of great listening! (After one more post ...)

2 comments:

proseandkahn said...

Numbers was one of my favorite listens this year as well. I'm not sure I would've liked it as much as I did had I read with my eyes. I don't usually read with accents. I love Sarah Coombs' voice and her voice for Spider was so endearing.

Nearly half of my reading this year was done by audio book. I've just been going over my numbers for my year-end post. I listened to 107 books. I have 141 audio tags since I started blogging two years ago, but I'm not always consistent with my tagging.

Another of my favorites this year was The Bog Child by Dowd. I forgot about Solace of the Road and have just ordered it through ILL.

Thanks for your reviews and Happy New Year!

brenda

cathy said...

I listened to Bog Child and read Solace of the Road. Also read Numbers and loved it. I'll really miss having more books by Siobhan Dowd who died in 2007, but her last book, Solace of the Road was published in 2007. What a fine writer she was.
cathy