Thursday, February 5, 2009

The votes are in!

So, it's been two weeks since I last posted; ALA Midwinter has come and gone. I've been cleaning up after the backlog that the conference work created and can finally get back here to post the link to our 2009 list of Amazing Audiobooks. We had an astonishing number of unanimous choices, but I was glad that the debating skills of me and a few other champions saw to it that a few others squeaked on, notably The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian and A Clockwork Orange.

We had two titles to add from the Odyssey Award, neither of which I had listened to. (I was mid-Nation when the announcements were made. More about this next.) I was most surprised that Fairest didn't get a nod, but I feel confident that listeners will comment about my Odyssey committee's choices when we announce them a year from now.

Aside from my hardworking committee, what I most appreciated about this year (now that I've submitted the last piece of paperwork!) was the number of publishers whose work made it on to our list: eight. This is more than have ever made it before. Considering that just a few years ago the universe was the big two (Recorded Books and Listening Library), I was glad to see others represented as well. Congratulations (and a big thank you) to the aforementioned and to Brilliance Audio, Full Cast Audio, HarperAudio, Listen & Live Audio, Macmillan Audio and Penguin Audionbooks. You keep broadening my listening world.

No comments: