Friday, November 2, 2007

Leaves are falling, but not trees ...

Here I am blogging from Iowa City, Iowa and doing some power listening (since there isn't much else to do here while tending the elderly parents at the old folks home). I finished If a Tree Falls... before I left Portland, and pretty much didn't change my mind about what bugged me about the dual narration. This is the kind of thing that you want the author to explain why she chose first person for one person and third for another. (Because she had to have a reason, but she doesn't offer it here although she does explain the meaning of the title -- sort of.) Anyway, I don't wish to take anything away from the readers, they were very good; but the narrative approach Choldenko took fits awkwardly into audio.

I also thought that the book itself was simply too jam-packed with stuff: class and race prejudice, eating disorders, mean girls, divorce, adultery, etc. Its slight frame just couldn't take it.

However, I will admit that I had the whole "secret" quite wrong -- what the secret was quite frankly never occurred to me. (Not the secret, but that it would be in this book.)

No comments: