Thursday, September 13, 2007

Shadowhunters

Actually, I don't know if that's one word or two ... one of the many pleasures/pains of audiobooks is that some spelling is a mystery (more on that in the post I'm planning after this one). City of Bones (Volume one in a planned trilogy Mortal Instruments) features some young, very handsome, kick-ass Shadowhunters trying to save us from the demons (vampires, werewolves, ravers and many other entities I can't remember) that threaten New York City.

Our heroine, Clary Fray, is a Shadowhunter -- but, of course, she didn't know it, until her shadowhunter mother disappears and a very nasty creature (that raver) shows up in her apartment. Evidently, her mother has been kidnapped by a guy that everyone thought was dead because he's planning to start up some war between good shadowhunters and those who have gone bad. Everyone appears to be afraid of this guy, named Valentine (who is so obviously Clary's unknown [to her] father, but I haven't gotten there yet ... can you say Star Wars?), who needs the three Mortal Instruments in order to become all powerful.

And, in the meantime, Clary and the other teen Shadowhunters she meets up with, are cruising around New York City encountering silent brothers, warlocks, vampires, werewolves, etc.; in an effort to unlock her brain so they can figure out where Valentine might have taken her mother. Because he must be stopped.

...at least I think that's what's going on ...

This is one of those books that's just wa-a-a-ay too involved for audio. It's long (14 hours) and full of trilogy-type exposition that attempts to get you up to speed on the backstory (who are the shadowhunters, what do they do, what is their code, who are these characters, etc.) that make for easy-to-drift-away-from-and-think-about-your-shopping-list listening. Wait, do I really have to know about the truce between the vampires and the werewolves?

Plus, I am afraid that there is a certain amount of descriptions of the hard, beautiful bodies of these young crusaders, along with recitations of cool clothing, various modes of transportation, and food.

Unfortunately, at this point (a little more than halfway through), I'm not sure where we are in the story, but we have ascertained that Shadowhunter Jace is sexy, handy on a motorcycle, and deeply conflicted about his future.

Finally, could I just say that I think Recorded Books is just a bit prudish. The cover of the book (at least the copy visible to me here) features a bare-chested, blond hottie (note blonde without the e = male ... did I have to explain that?), while the staid RB cover (which I've only been able to locate here [arrow down to the bottom] which I suspect is not a persistent url ... I really ought to figure out how to load pictures!) features a head. Don't they know which cover is going to get checked out of the library?

No comments: