Thursday, September 13, 2007

Musings

Ultimately, I just don't think I'm all that good at blogging if I've gone 10 days between posts; however, I'm hopeful that this will prove a useful tool (if I can figure out how to access it at without a laptop ... hmmm) at Midwinter; so I shall keep posting.

First, an update on What is the What. I asked for another committee member to listen to this, and our chair heroically volunteered. (I don't know where she finds the time to get in all the audiobooks she's managed to listen to during the past two years, but she is amazing!). She agreed that it was a great book, and encouraged me to nominate it ... so I have!

I also finished Half-Moon Investigations, which I mildly enjoyed, but still contend it's a book for younger readers/listeners. The characters are all so extreme in their motivations and actions -- for comedic purposes or otherwise -- that I think only younger listeners would tolerate them without feeling talked down to. Even the Irish accent was a little bit cariacturish -- too over the top. I'm wondering that Artemis Fowl fans (although it has been awhile since I've read one of those) would think that the author was writing for younger kids. Well, hopefully we'll have a lively discussion about it in January.

No comments: