Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Dead batteries

Well, I just got started with Julius Lester's Cupid on my walk to the MAX train this morning, when the batteries on my CD player died. I think I got through about three tracks on disk one, but I gotta say I'm intrigued by the premise of the omniscient and extremely present narrator telling the story in the audio version.

The narrator is someone I've not heard of: Stephen McKinley Henderson.

And since I had to occupy my brain the rest of the journey to the MAX (before I could open a book and read [The New Policeman which would make a terrific audiobook if they could play all the music that's in the book]), I got to thinking about narrators. Listening Library (publisher of Cupid) seems to be constantly experimenting -- finding new narrators all the time. Recorded Books, on the other hand, seems to have a stable of readers and reuses them frequently. And, when you get to dislike a narrator (Recorded Books has one I just can't stand to listen to right now, I think I've mentioned this before), it can really color which book you choose to read next.

I'm going to stop Cupid to listen to Cracker: The Best Dog in Vietnam. My book group is discussing this one and I don't want to read and then have to listen. But, we haven't been shipped this one yet by Listening Library, so I have to listen to my library's copy, which is waiting on the hold shelf for me even as we speak.

No comments: