Friday, February 9, 2007

How much violence can one person listen to?

Samurai Shortstop is really violent: The opening scene depicting the seppuku, the father beating up his son and son responding in kind, boarding school violence that culminates in an assault by the whole school on one transgressor.

I hate this stuff, and listening is so much more painful. When you read to yourself, you can skip over what is displeasing, but listening to another reader requires that you sit through the whole episode. And the episodes keep piling up. I've got about two hours more listening; and -- at this point -- I just want to get to the end.

I don't have a copy of the book available to look at, but I sure hope there's an afterward offering more information on Meiji era Japan (I know it's the Meiji era because of the Subject Headings).

No comments: